Hey, 2018! It’s nice to finally meet you. There was a ton of hopeful lead-up to your arrival, and so far, besides the whole Tide Pods thing, it seems warranted.
Look, I realize this is about four weeks late – you’ve been here awhile, and I should’ve acknowledged you sooner. But bro, I don’t think you understand how intense several consecutive weeks/weekends with family visitors is. Towards the end I was gently weeping in a tepid bathtub every night, wondering when it would end.
It’s okay, though. Life’s back to normal now. I’m back to normal now (mostly). And I’m just really, really glad you’re here.
I am gonna be frank with you: you’ve got a tough act to follow. Your predecessor was probably the best one of you yet, bringing all sorts of achievements and newness and terrifying, exhilarating leaps.
Just in that span of 365 days, I managed to:
- begin learning a new instrument
- swell the human population by one
- run a 5k – run several 5k’s, if you include all the sweaty, wheezy training
- own land, like I’m some well-to-do Madame Moneybags
- maintain this ridiculous blog
- got organized through planning
- move back home, where I shocked the absolute hell out of myself by finding that the ever-persistent restlessness in my gut had settled down
- finish a book (… a novelette, admittedly, but it’s done and it exists and that’s something)
- learn how to read tarot
- meet my freelancing goal
- watch almost every Fast and Furious movie
That might seem like needless bragging but I didn’t actually realize how amazing 2017 was until I typed all of that out. It’s super easy for me to get bogged down in the stuff I didn’t yet accomplish, like losing all of the baby weight, or getting anything creative published, or figuring out what exactly to do with this blog. But it’s good to focus on what you have done every now and then, you know?
Anyway, I won’t keep you. I know you’re probably really busy figuring out which of the US states you’ll next throw into a frigid panic, or how much more women can take before we finally crack and just go Lord of the Flies in this bitch. I just wanted to tell you that even though 2017 was amazing, I have full plans to make you even better – I’ve got actual, tangible resolutions, and we’re gonna get there together. This year, I will
- lose the damn baby weight, it’s been 9 and a half months. I don’t even think that counts as ‘baby weight’ anymore.
- run a 10k – yeah, that’s right, I said it. Double or nothing.
- play a full song on the cello without stopping to shriek ‘DAMMIT’ at my instrument
- cut sugar out of my diet
- DON’T MAKE ANY MORE BABIES
- finish a full novel and submit it
Here’s to a good year, 2018.
And to anyone reading, take the time to focus on all you’ve accomplished – in the last year, in the last month, in the last week. Write it down, smile at the words, bask a little. It’s easy to forget how much we’ve done in pursuit of how much we have yet to do; don’t let yourself get bogged down in disappointment. Just do. Just persist. Even a little progress is progress, and there’s still so much year left.